kostenloser Counter

Freitag, Oktober 27, 2006

If you've got nothing to lose ...

... you are as strong and as dangerous as you can possibly get.

And again, the last couple of days were packed. First of all: our host Barry was supposed to be back on sunday, but didn't show up. Lost in Thailand, without money and mobile. Such a Barry-thing to do ... Second: My work at the restaurant turns into half a nightmare because of my manager. He keeps making me so angry that I would love to throw glasses or cakes or steak knives at him. But I finally found a way to cool down after he pissed me off. And last, and most important: I finally realised where my luck is coming from.

I was not really surprised that Barry was not back in time, because of the stories I've heard about him, that seemed to be typical. He must have gotten himself in some sort of trouble, as usual, and was probably struggling to get out of the country.

I should be right. For some reason, he had overslept his flight, and since somebody had stolen his credit cards, he didn't have enough money for a cab to the airport, and the plane left without him. He was stuck in Thailand, with no money, and a more then sour hotel, because he couldn't pay the bill anymore. It took him a while to reach his friend Trevor (my current boss), because his mobile phone got lost too. But after all, he managed to reach Trevor, who sent him some money, and Barry arrived on Wednesday, where he got lost again, because he had some kind of an amnesy, and when he told the Taxi driver he wanted to go to his Thai Hotel, and insisted to be in Bankok instead of in Brisbane, the taxi driver took him straight to the hospital, where they did all kind of tests with poor Barry.

At the same time, I had a very productive day at work in an unusual work environment. Instead of my office, we all got invited to Trevors penthouse far, far over the city, 56th floor, where we worked all day. The view was breathtaking, and you realise how high you really are, when you look down to a Zeppelin.
At about 5, Trev suggested to go and see a cricket game. I'd never seen one before, and wanted to go to the stadium anyway, so I went with him. Only him and me. Yes, I was a bit worried. For no reason. We had the greatest time. He explained the game to me, but I still don't really get it. Fortunately Wikipedia knows everything about it, too ...
After watching the game for a tiny little while, we had the nicest dinner in the Cricket Club of Queensland. I was stunned. two weeks earlier, it was me who served him, and even stepped onto his foot.
The converstation we had that night counts to my best experiences over here. Since I really didn't know what to talk about, I just blew all my shiness away and jumped. I asked him everything that was in my mind. Personal things, that are not at oll of my business. Business, success, well being, whatever. Following my plan to discover the real person behind the cool attitude. I digged deep, and so did he.
Three hours passed immediately, and we were on a high. I knew once I went to the toilet, the high would be over, and so I didn't go until I really really had to. After I returned, we went back to the game. The high had passed, what remained was a very warm feeling for that person, who had been so honest and open to me, a random stranger.

It was that night, that I realised why I am so lucky all the time. It's not because I was born on a sunday. It's because of my parents.
I've been quite independent all my life. I never was daddy's little girl, I was daddy's big rebel, and I still am. My parents always provided me with all sorts of assistance, but I hardly ever took it. By making it so clear, that they are there for me, they allowed me to make my own experiences without having to fear I could fail and fall. I always knew, even if I screw it up for the worst, I won't fall.
If you know, you can not hurt yourself leaning out of the window, you lean out futher and further. And from there, you can reach much, much more.

It's kinda the same with the restaurant. I think, from the moment my manager found out I gonna work for Trev and stay at Barry's, he stopped liking me. Ever since then, he hardly talks to me, nor has a nice word for me. I never hear that I did a good job, or anything else nice from him (Which is very important for me, I need that more than I need money! Ever). Although I can tell clients like me and I screwed up once in for weeks. Instead of the lamb main I brought somebody the lamb entree. Ok, and the glass of water in one's clients lap, but come on, that was rather funny. anyway. The way Andrew treats me is pissing me off quite heavily. He tells me off whenever he can, and makes me look like a scrub on any occasion. I am dying to have a word with him, but he keeps disappearing. And I kept building up a lot of anger, which is not good. Anger lames you from the inside, disables your brain, and makes you tell things and act in a way you regret once you've cooled down.
From that point of view, I was struggling, and desperate to find a way out, to find an outlet for these evil emotions.
I found my outlet by chance. I was just about to bring some beer to a client, when Andrew once again used the opportunity to make me look stupid. I was boiling, and also wanted to win back the customers sympathy. So, I gave them the beer for free. The effect was better than expected, for both sides, the customers and me.
Now, everytime he dares to piss me off, to tell me off if I didn't do anything wrong, and doesn't talk to me, it means one free drink for a customer of my choice. Ha.

It's dangerous to employ a backpacker. But you don't wanna mess with a packbacker who doesn't need the money and works for you as a favour. And in the end of the day: treating people unfriendly is never ever a good idea.